There is a huge difference between packed coffee powder and freshly grounded coffee. If you are an espresso starter, you ought to know that coffee beans lose 40% of their aroma within minutes of the grinding process. Therefore, to make a refreshing coffee rich of aromas, a good coffee bean grinder is essential.
The two main types of coffee bean grinders are:
- Burr Grinders: They crush the beans by grinding the coffee beans between a non-moving surface and a grinding wheel. They are more expensive than a blade grinder.
- Blade Grinders: They use a sharp blade to cut through the coffee beans eventually making little minute pieces. They produce uneven and inconsistent coffee powder.
Now arises the challenging task – the one of finding best coffee bean grinders. So, what qualities do you look for when you are deciding on the best coffee bean grinder?
Here are some important questions that you may ask while deciding on the best coffee bean grinder:
- Is it manual or electric?
- Does it use blades or burrs?
- What types of settings are available: simple settings or complex operations for grinding beans in different ways?
- Is it a noisy or noiseless grinder?
- Is it compact or bulky?
- Does it have removable parts that are easy to clean?
Well, we have made this mammoth task easy for you. After surveying numerous coffee bean grinders, we have zeroed down on top 6 best coffee bean grinders. Here we confined the count to 6, and not 10, because the other grinders have either performed badly or haven’t been around for enough time to be considered.
Some of the key factors that we considered while creating the rating of these grinders on were: power, motor quality, ease of cleanliness, overall build quality, ease of use.
Best Coffee Bean Grinder
With a powerful 250 W motor, Epica grinds coffee beans very fine in no time. It doesn’t stop there, this grinder is multi-purpose, so you can even grind seed seasonings and most of the spices. It holds good 3/4th cup of coffee beans.
- Removable Grinding Cup – For easy pouring.
- Clear Lid – helps you to make out when the grinding is done.
- Stainless steel grinding cups and blades.
- Large activation button, safety lock, compact size – For extra comfort and compactness.
- Offers 17 different grinding settings—for grinding coffee according to your liking.
- Totally automatic burr grinder.
- Automatic shut off—shuts off as soon as the coffee is produced.
- Dual usage – can be used for spices as well as coffee.
The metal receptacle gets warm during long runs. Although the machine is fine, but the motor wears out quickly.
Undoubtedly, the best budget coffee grinder in the market.
This 170 W grinder may not be as powerful as Epica, but can nevertheless grind the coffee beans well. A removable 4-ounce stainless steel bowl and a separate Spice Grinder Accessory Kit ensure that you grinding spice doesn’t recede your coffee grinding speed.
- Stainless Steel Blade, Safety Switch – For safe grinding.
- Clear Top Cover allows for easy viewing of the grinding process.
- Multiple bowls of different sizes– for coffee, spice, resins and everything else that you can think of.
- Smart looking and aesthetically pleasing appearance.
- Choice of colours – Espresso, Empire Red, and Onyx Black.
- Compact size – 8 ½ inches tall and 4 inches wide – can fit into small spaces.
- Detachable grinding bowl for easy and efficient cleaning.
- One-Touch Control –Very easy to use, single touch usage instructions.
Grinding is good, but it isn’t great – owing to a 170 W power motor. It should do well to grind coffee beans, but if you intend to grind other dense spices, it would end up receding the speed. It may be a little bit messy at times.
At Sub $50.00 price tag, it remains one of the most versatile grinders around.
At under $20 price tag, F203 is one of the top budget grinders, its 200 W motor beats many other coffee grinders that cost twice. It is too versatile for a grinder at this cost. Moreover, you can even grind species like flax seed.
- Oval design & SS (Stainless Steel) blades – ensures uniform grinding
- Large grinding capacity – Makes up to 12 cups of coffee
- 200 Watts, Lid Activated safety switch – covers both power and safety
- Two-In-One—Can be used for grinding spices along with coffee.
- Great quality and durable – can last for years to come.
- Modern retractable cord – no wires seen in your kitchen.
- Large capacity—can accommodate upto 12 cups of coffee.
- Multi-functional usage—can be used for grinding coffee, spices, grains, and nuts.
The overall design, especially the oval blades – which happens to be a key feature – has proved to be counterproductive. It may heat up quickly. There is limited control on the grinding size. That said, Krups has tried to look this downside pale by offering a 2-year warranty.
This sub $20 MIRA does a fine job of grinding up to 12 cups of coffee. Backed with a 200 W powerful motor – like Krups, this grinder is equally powerful in getting you fine coffee in no time.
One thing that set Mira apart from others is the ease of cleaning. With any grinder, cleaning plays a great role in overall maintenance, that’s where this grinder has an edge over Krups.
- 200-W Motor with stainless steel blades – powerful motor for grinding faster.
- Dishwasher safe coffee container and Removable stainless steel collection cup – for easy cleaning
- Safeguarded lock button – grinding not possible without the lock in place.
- Small in size – compact, can be easily placed in the smallest of kitchens.
- Greater mobility – can be moved from one room to another easily, ideal for parents with babies at home.
- Transparent lid – easy to supervise the grinding.
- Works for grinding both coffee and spices.
- Compartment for storing the electric cable when not in use.
While the motor and grinder are great, one downside is that the motor gets warm (not hot), during long operations – pretty much like Epica. The motor can’t grind for more than 20 seconds. Although the features are comparable to Krups, the ease of cleaning sets Mira apart. Cleaning, in general, increases the lifespan of the grinder, and that’s where Mira Gets it right over other grinders in the same class. Also, the cup size is small.
This electric grinder doesn’t do very well in terms of performances, but it does have a lot of features and add-ons. Although this machine has smart overheat protection, the motor still ends up wearing out quickly. It has two stainless steel removable bowls: one grinder bowl and one chopper bowl, and does grind well.
- Stainless steel blade and exteriors for longer blade life.
- Grinds coffee beans and most of the spices.
- Cord compartment for stowing away the cable when unit is not in use.
- Smaller and easy to fit coffee grinder.
- Smart overheat protector—prevents the grinding motor from overheating.
- Lid safety lock – for safer usage.
- Flexible utility – can be used for coffee, nuts, grains, and spices.
The motor quality isn’t as good as that of Krups or Mira. Although the product itself is versatile, but the motor quality significantly drops its suitability for your daily needs. The build quality isn’t the best. Also, it is slightly more expensive than other blade grinders.
A stylish build with a fine motor quality sets this grinder apart. Out of all the products that we reviewed, this one solely made to the list based on motor’s durability, besides the 18-month warranty comes next only to Krup.
- 2-1/2-ounce capacity
- Stainless steel bowl and blades
- Easy-press on/off switch for 1-touch operation
Although the quality of the motor is good, the grinding process is slow. It means – the grinder is durable but isn’t the fastest. The cleaning mechanism isn’t as good as Mira, overall this is good under $30.00 buy, especially for the quality of motor it offers.
We hope that this assessment of top 6 best coffee bean grinders help you decide the right grinder for you. So before you buy, decide what factors among Motor Speed, Warranty, features, design, and budget are important, and buy the one that suits your needs. Irrespective of which one you chose, one thing is certain – You deserve freshly great coffee, and you need a reliable coffee bean grinder for that. Buy smartly.